We are deeply saddened by the events that have transpired over the weekend in Charlottesville, Virginia. No matter where you are, there are ways we can show solidarity and provide aid to help victims. #Charlottesville
Here are 10 ways you can support local non-profits and individuals affected by the violence:
1. Donate to help cover the costs of Charlottesville victims’ medical expenses
2. Donate to cover C-ville Victim Relief
3. Donate to the Legal Aid Justice Center – provides legal assistance to low-income individuals and seeks equal justice for all who live in Virginia.
4. Attend a Vigil. Here are some options for attending a vigil in your area.
5. Call Your Representatives – especially if your representatives aren’t condemning the violence in Charlottesville. Find out who represents you in Congress.
6. Donate to Organizations Fighting Hatred & Bigotry
7. Donate to the Great Expectations educational assistance program – This Virginia program helps foster youth (a vulnerable and diverse population of young people) transition to work and college.
8. Donate to Big Brothers Big Sisters of the Central Blue Ridge: This organization provides mentorship to young people in the Charlottesville area.
9. Support African American Teaching Fellows: an organization working to increase diversity among teaching staff in a system where only 10% of educators are African-American.
10. Support The Women’s Initiative: A non-profit that provides mental healthcare to women regardless of a patient’s ability to pay.